The history of Members 1st Credit Union dates back to 1936, when California State Employees Credit Union #13 received its state charter. The credit union was organized for the benefit of California State employees to save and borrow in a cooperative manner. At the time of its inception, the credit union operated out of a desk drawer in the Department of Transportation office in Redding, California. Through the years, the credit union outgrew the desk drawer and was moved to the manager’s garage. From there it progressed into larger offices, finally operating at 1260 Pine Street, Redding, which now serves as a Members 1st branch. California State Employees Credit Union #13 briefly transitioned its name to North State Public Employees Credit Union in 1994 until its merger with FENC Federal Credit Union in 2000.
FENC was started as a cooperative in 1941, to provide credit union services for federal workers hired during the construction of Shasta Dam. Much like California State Employees Credit Union #13, FENC existed in a small file cabinet that was transported from home to work in the Treasurer’s pickup truck, providing on-site services to its members. Membership was later expanded to include federal employees of Northern California and their immediate family members. FENC operated at 1380 Hilltop Drive, Redding, prior to the merger. This office now serves as a Members 1st branch.
The board of directors of both North State Public Employees Credit Union and FENC Federal Credit Union took the steps to facilitate a merger between the two credit unions, to better serve their membership through expanded products and services. On October 1, 2000, the credit union merger was complete, thus creating Members 1st Credit Union. After the merger, Members 1st expanded its charter to offer services to communities located in Shasta and Tehama counties, as well as all level of government employees, schools, approved employer groups and family members of all groups. In 2011, UFCW Federal Credit Union merged with Members 1st.
UFCW originated in 1954 to provide financial services to a striking butcher's union. Its membership expanded to include retail clerks in the 1970's and was located in the old union hall building at 900 Locust Street in Redding before transition to a more updated office space on Bechelli Lane in Redding. Members 1st Credit Union exists to provide the effective and relevant financial services our members need to achieve their financial goals and dreams.